Ramblings from us as we strive to live a holy life in the world, not of the world.

Pope Paul VI's prophetic words

Over the years I have spent quite a bit of time in faith formation and faith sharing groups discussing Humanae Vitae. In a later post, I will chronicle my reversion story and how the Church's teaching on sexuality at first kept me at bay from fully embracing my faith, but eventually helped me to not only embrace my faith, but to share it with a passion as the teachings have helped me to understand the beauty of the creation of God and our ability to participate in that creation through our sexuality.

I can remember many discussions within those groups when we lamented how prophetic Pope Paul's words back in 1968 were. Many evils that he predicted would happen have come to fruition in a startling way. One only has to read part of that encyclical to realize that the Holy Spirit was truly speaking through the pope.

As I was reading blogs this morning I happened upon Crossed the Tiber who in rereading the encyclical stumbled upon more prophetic words.

Under Article 17, Consequences of Artificial Methods, Pope Paul writes:


"Finally, careful consideration should be given to the danger of this power passing into the hands of those public authorities who care little for the precepts of the moral law. Who will blame a government which in its attempt to resolve the problems affecting an entire country resorts to the same measures as are regarded as lawful by married people in the solution of a particular family difficulty? Who will prevent public authorities from favoring those contraceptive methods which they consider more effective?Should they regard this as necessary, they may even impose their use on everyone. It could well happen, therefore, that when people, either individually or in family or social life, experience the inherent difficulties of the divine law and are determined to avoid them, they may give into the hands of public authorities the power to intervene in the most personal and intimate responsibility of husband and wife."

Yikes...

It's been a couple of years since I read Humanae Vitae. I have to teach an RCIA class next week about Theology of the Body and NFP. Perhaps it would be a good time for me to revisit it.



No comments:

Post a Comment