Ramblings from us as we strive to live a holy life in the world, not of the world.

Been a while...

Haven't posted in over a month. I've been trying to focus on an extended spiritual retreat. I just finished reading Consoling the Heart of Jesus for the second time. I read this book last Lent and felt transformed by it. As I started Lent by reading the Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila, I continually felt that I was being called to reread Consoling the Heart again. Fifty pages into the Way of Perfection, I finally put it down and picked up Consoling the Heart. Once again, I feel transformed by what I've read. Based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius and heavily influenced by St. Theresa's writings and detailing her Act of Merciful Love and St. Faustina's writings especially Divine Mercy, it makes it readable for the average lay person. For the second year in a row, I've come away with a not only uplifting experience but newfound insight into God's mercy.

We're looking at a busy Holy Week here. I've been helping Deacon Joe master his singing 'parts' for the Good Friday service and the Exsultet for the Easter Vigil. I have to admit that he surprised me how well he sings. I've known him for almost 27 years and yes, I've heard him sing, but not that much, and he's pretty good. I'm looking forward to hearing him on Holy Saturday evening when he sings his almost ten minute 'solo.' (Is that what I should call it?)

In the meantime, we have confession, track meets, clergy dinners, meetings, multiple jail visits, the Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday at the Cathedral (which I'm supposed to take the little boys to, but I'm not sure how they will fare after several hours), Mass of the Lord's Supper, Good Friday Service, preparing for the Easter Vigil, then Easter day. I'll be looking forward to spending Easter home cooking a meal, that should be easy. I'm sure that my favorite deacon will be collapsed in a chair in front of the Masters next Sunday. Oh, and I am excited that my children will all be home for Easter dinner, although my two oldest have to work during the day. It's so rare that they are ever home for a weekend meal.

May your Holy Week be an opportunity to grow in faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment